What: We looked at the number of visitors at top websites to find out where Latin Americans (and particularly Mexicans) went searching for entertainment content in January 2018.
Why it matters: YouTube is still on top of the entertainment industry online for Latin Americans, and even more so for Mexicans.
Even though there's a myriad of entertainment options to choose from, consumers have proved that winners tend to stay on top. In January 2018, most Latin Americans visited YouTube, and the rest went to a variety of sites providing not only videos and movies but also music, games, and general entertainment content.
Top 10 entertainment websites in Latin America, January 2018
|Total Audience, Home & Work, PC/Laptop||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||191,289|
|9||Fandom Powered by Wikia||7,298|
- [Source: comScore]
- From all users who visited websites in January, 84.2% looked at entertainment sites online.
- Among those users, 77% went to YouTube, while 20% watched Netflix content. This means a 3% decrease for YouTube and a 2% increase for Netflix since December.
- Spotify was right behind Netflix with 12.5% of users.
- General entertainment sites including news, games, and videos like Webedia and MSN received 9.5% and 9.4% of users respectively.
- Brazilian website Globo Entretenimiento was visited by 8% of Latin internet users looking for entertainment.
- UOL Entretenimiento, another successful Brazilian website, received 7% of visits.
- 5.6% of users visited iTunes.
- Wikia Fandom Pages were visited by 4.5% of entertainment website users.
- CBS Interactive entered January's ranking with 4.2% of visits.
Top 10 entertainment websites in Mexico, January 2018
|Total Audience, Home & Work, All PC/Laptop and Mobile Devices||Total Unique Visitors/Viewers (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||68,613|
- When looking specifically at Mexican audiences, we find that 91% of total internet users visited entertainment websites either on a PC or on their mobile devices, just the same amount as in December 2017.
- YouTube is still the most successful entertainment website in Mexico; although with a decrease from 89.4% to 82.5% of users when compared to the previous month.
- Following YouTube from afar was Spotify, with 23.3% of entertainment audiences.
- VEVO was next behind Spotify with 21.9% of visits.
- Netflix went down one spot with 20% of visits.
- WarnerMusic, a website devoted to articles, news, and reviews, had 18.2% of entertainment viewership.
- Mexican viewers showed interest in entertainment related to Cinema. 11.8% of viewers visited Cinepolis Sites, 1.2% more than the previous month.
- Comcast NBCUniversal joined the list with 10.3% of visits.
- The next two spots had very similar numbers of visitors. Azteca Internet received 9.4% and VIX.COM received 9% of viewers.
- Webedia closed the ranking at the 10th spot with 7.9% of entertainment viewership.
Janet has worked as a translator and editor for magazines and publishing houses including Expansion and Grupo Planeta since 2014. She is part of the Portada editorial team, and her main interests include literature, traveling, and exploring other cultures. Follow me on Twitter!