Today's leader: There's far more to the City's future than Brexit
The customs union focus continues, after a senior Downing Street official told the BBC that the government is committed to the UK leaving the EU customs union after its defeat in the House of Lords last week raised some concerns.
The FTSE is expected to open at up 0.13 per cent at 7,377, while Germany's Dax is likely to inch ahead at 0.22 per cent to 12,568, with the French Cac up by a 0.17 per cent rise to 5,422, according to IG.
Earlier, Asian markets dipped slightly while traders awaited surveys on global manufacturing for April and fresh doubt was cast over North Korea's pledge to end its missile tests.
MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan fell 0.4 per cent and Japan's Nikkei also eased 0.3 per cent.
- Sky – today is the date of the company's interim dividend payment
- Arix Bioscience – the healthcare giant releases its annual results today
- HG Capital Trust – will hold its AGM today
- 09:00 – Eurozone Markit services PMI (April)
- 14:45 – US Markit PMI composite (April)
- 15:00 – EBC Coeuré speech