What: We looked at the sites where Latin Americans, and particularly Mexicans, went looking for possible online purchases in April 2018.
Why it matters: Even though Amazon is making great efforts to expand in Latin America, the retail giant is still way far behind Mercadolibre, always the leader of online shopping in the region.
As we saw in previous editions of this ranking, Amazon had already approached MercadoLibre and was comfortably sitting in the second spot. Last month, Latin American internet users preferred B2W Digital for online purchases, but now Amazon comes back to the second spot.
Top 10 E-Commerce Sites in Latin America, April 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop.||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||183,917|
|7||Apple.com Worldwide Sites||7,762|
- 63.6% of Latin Americans with an internet connection visited e-tail sites in April.
- MercadoLibre is still the clear winner. With 48.9% of visits, it remains stable on the first spot.
- Amazon is right behind with 18% of visitors.
- B2W Digital received 14.7% of visits.
- 11% of Latin American internet users looking for online shopping visited Alibaba.com Corporation.
- eBay was visited by 8.4% of users, almost exactly the same as the previous month.
- 7% of online shoppers visited CNova.
- Apple.com received 6.6% of visits, while Wal-mart was seen by 6.4% of users.
- 6% of online shoppers went to Google Shopping, exactly the same as the previous month.
- Appearing in the list for the first time, Buscape received 4.9% of visits.
Top 10 E-Commerce Sites in Mexico, April 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop, Mobile.||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||64,619|
- Out of the total number of Mexicans with an internet connection, 66.5% visited e-commerce sites in April.
- 42.9% of those users visited MercadoLibre, 2.97% more than the previous month.
- 23.8% of internet users looking for e-commerce possibilities went to Amazon.
- eBay and Walmart switched places. Walmart is on the third spot with 18.7% of visits and eBay was seen by 17.5% of users.
- Linio Sites received 17.4% of visits.
- 9.4% of users visited Wish.com, while 9.3% went to Coppel.com.
- Ticketmaster received 8.3% of visits.
- Alibaba was seen by 8.2% of users.
- 7.7% of users visited Samsung Group, 1.7% more than the previous month.
Janet Grynberg @grynberg_janet
Janet has worked as editor and translator since 2013. After graduating with honors when receiving her Bachelor's Degree in English literature, she began working as a book reviewer for Expansión, the leading business magazine in Mexico. She has also worked as editor of young adult literature for publishing houses like Planeta and Penguin, and she's the author of a book of short stories. She's in the process of getting her MA in English at McGill University. Her interests include arts, good food, and her 8 pets.