Powderhounds will soon be able to enjoy the NSW snowfields with the states alpine region to open on June 22 after the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) virus, commonly known as the novel coronavirus, pandemic delayed the 2020 ski season.
Deputy Premier John Barilaro is keen to see tourists back on the slopes after the traditional June long weekend season opener was cancelled due to COVID-19.
But resorts will need to ensure they are safe by implementing physical distancing, controlled access to ski lifts and enhanced cleaning procedures.
“These measures will mean that fewer people will be able to visit and stay at resorts this season, so it is essential that people book and confirm their travel arrangements and accommodation before they travel,” Barilaro said in a statement on Thursday.
People should continue to maintain proper physical distancing, he added.
The Shed Ski Hire owner Gary Vaughan was hoping to be open for the June long weekend but will accept June 22 instead.
“Its fantastic because we werent sure if it was or wasnt going to go ahead,” Vaughan told AAP. “Something is better than nothing.”
Vaughan on Thursday already received numerous phone calls from people eager to hit the slopes.
“A couple of people from Queensland told me they are keen to get down here,” he said.
“They can come down to NSW but when their ski trip is finished they wont be allowed back into Queensland (due to the border being closed).
“But they said they will worry about that when they get back.”
Thredbo, Charlotte Pass and Perisher will open but Selwyn resort will remain shut throughout this years snow season due to bushfire damage.
Thredbo Resort general manager Stuart Diver said it had been working hard with the government and stakeholders to open under COVID-19 restrictions.
“Were going to need to limit the number of people who ski and board, and who are in the resort on a daily basis,” Diver said in a statement on Thursday.
“It is going to look different this winter.”
Group ski and snowboarding lessons haRead More – Source