The United States is sending food, water, and medical supplies to Beirut after a massive blast at a port killed 154 people and injured 5,000.
“Under the direction of President Donald J. Trump, the United States is delivering critical emergency aid to Lebanon following Tuesdays horrific event in Beirut,” national security adviser Robert OBrien said in a statement.
“The United States extends our condolences to all of the families of those lost in this tragedy. We stand firmly with the people of Lebanon and will continue to offer our full support through this difficult time.”
The U.S. Embassy in Beirut is working to determine additional needs. A U.S. Disaster Assistance Response Team has been deployed to coordinate and deliver the aid.
After the blast destroyed Lebanons only major grain silo, U.N. agencies helped provide emergency food and medical aid. Aid offers have also poured in from Arab states, Western nations, the Vatican, and beyond.
The explosion on Tuesday destroyed a swath of Beirut and sent seismic shockwaves around the region. While the cause of the blast remains unknown, Lebanons president did not rule out an attack.
“The cause has not been determined yet. There is a possibility of external interference through a rocket or bomb or other act,” Lebanon President Michel Aoun told local media.
Aoun, who had previously said explosive material was stored unsafely for years at the port, said the investigation would also weigh if the blast was due to negligence or an accident. Twenty people had been detained so far, he added.
Security forces fired tear gas at a crowd in Beirut on Thursday, as anger boiled over at the ruling elite, who have presided over an economic collapse.
Officials have said the blast, whose impact Read More – Source